If you are living with domestic abuse iT can often feel like there is no where to go or to turn to; there is help available though and there are also things you can do to help keep yourself and your family safe.
A Safety Plan
A safety plan can be a piece of paper with important bits of information on it which can help you.
Things to include in your plan:
- Write down the quickest way out of the house or the rooms with easier ways to exit the house
- If you go to work, think about all the ways to leave work quickly
- Write important names and phone numbers of friends or adults you can trust including the police and Women’s Aid
- Keep a copy of your and your children’s birth certificates and write down your passport number if you have access to them
- Pack a bag and put it in a hidden but readily accessible place
Keep it in a safe place where you can get to in an emergency and where the abuser will not find it. Remember –
You and your children have a right to be safe!
Call the police 999
The Police are there 24 hours a day to come and help if there is a frightening situation at home. It does not cost anything to call 999 and someone on the phone will ask you where you are and if you need someone to come and help.
The person doing the abusing may have threatened to hurt you or your family or that they will do something bad if you tell anyone about the abuse. Even though you will be feeling frightened, there are people and services that understand your fears and can help you get to safety.
Talking to a friend or to a service like Wigtownshire Women’s Aid can really help. It’s ok to feel nervous about telling somebody; lots of people do.
For example, you might feel
- Embarrassed or guilty about talking about your family
- Scared of not being believed or of being blamed
- Afraid of getting someone in your family in trouble
- Worried about making the situation worse
Remember there are good things about telling someone, like:
- Not dealing with the problem on your own
- Feeling less alone; Getting information
- Finding ways to safety
- Finding a person or service that can help you to make the abuse stop