Wigtownshire Women’s Aid was formed and from that date onwards women living in Wigtownshire were able to access support.
Since 1987, the demand for Wigtownshire Women’s Aid service has increased considerably and has grown from a handful of volunteers to 21 paid staff. The increase can hopefully be attributed in part to more women becoming aware of our services and domestic abuse within the communities, as well as the right not to endure abuse from their partner or ex-partner.
Wigtownshire Women’s Aid team, under the guidance of our Board of Directors and Co-ordinator, consist of Crisis, Refuge, Outreach, Children and Young Person’s workers together with the admin and finance/funding worker. Our diverse staff team come from a range of backgrounds and have brought valuable knowledge, skills and experience to the organisation.
We are a local registered charity who offer information and support to women and their children (if any) who are being or have been physically, mentally or sexually abused by a partner or ex-partner.
• You can approach us directly or be referred by another agency
• The service we provide is free and confidential
• If necessary we can provide safe accommodation. Admittance to our refuge can be until 9.30pm Monday to Friday and between 11am-5pm at weekends.
• We provide a quiet place to allow you the opportunity to talk on your own
• We give you information about available options so that you can make your own decisions and determine your own future
• If necessary we can accompany you to appointments and advocate on your behalf
What it means to be a charity
As a charity we rely on donations and we are very happy to accept your help whether you want to help us with a one-off gift or to make a more regular contribution. There are various options as to how you can donate to us:
• By Texting: You can donate money by texting an amount to our ‘Just text giving’ account to 70070 by texting WSWA22 and the amount you would like to donate e.g WSWA22 £5.00.
• By cheque: make your cheque payable to Wigtownshire Women’s Aid and send by post to:
Wigtownshire Women’s Aid
22 Bellevilla Road
STRANRAER DG9 8ED
• By a gift in your will: if you wish to bequest or donate money via your will please contact us to discuss this.
• Sponsored events: you can sponsor an event or activity for us with friends or at your workplace. We’ve so far benefited from marathons, baking cakes and dance events.
If you are a UK taxpayer, we can claim Gift Aid on all your donations. This amounts to an extra 28p for every £1 you donate, all of which is at no extra cost to you. All we need is a signed statement that you are a UK taxpayer to enable us to claim this.
For more information about how you can support Wigtownshire Women’s Aid financially contact Lynne Higgins on 01776 703104.
“We are very grateful to continue to receive donated goods from the local community, which our service users can make use of. However, due to limited storage space, at times we may not be able find appropriate use for items, and in these instances, may either donate to other charitable causes or sell items in order to raise money to buy other items more in need. We call this our Emergency Clothing Fund.”